Saturday 5 May 2012

Vintage Raleigh Caprice


I have a bicycle.
I HAVE A BICYCLE.
I am so excited. It arrived yesterday, from E-bay, and I couldn’t wait to stick it all together and try it out. Or at least, get my brother to stick it all together, because I have no idea how these things work, and he allegedly does.
It was getting dark by the time it was actually rideable, so I just went up and down my road. I felt like I was stood at the from of the Titanic with Leonardo DiCaprio’s arms around me, my red hair streaming in the wind.
She’s a ‘vintage’ (dunno how old) Raleigh Caprice, with a lovely loop frame and a basket. I have many aesthetic improvements I want to make on her, the most major being to paint her a light pastel blue. I’m going to get a scarf in a matching colour and we’ll look like quite the delightful pair, whooshing along down lanes and coastal paths. 
She (she is clearly a 'she', she has a basket!) has three gears, one of which definitely works - I've only ridden her on the flat so haven't tried out the other two gears.
This is the modern version that Raleigh are pumping out:

With the exception of the saddle and handlebars and basket: hideous. Look at that frame! What were they thinking?
My 'vintage' version is so much more elegant. It looks a little like this one:

Where did they go wrong?!
 
Today I rode down to the field and back on her. It was hard work pedalling against the wind, but I think this is a good thing considering how lazy and chubby I’ve been getting in the last six months. I'm not sure how well I'll cope with cycling to Bridgend though, I think it'll be a nightmare! I was out of breath just going around the block, but hopefully my fitness will improve and I'll be able to go actual distances.
I’m going to take her for a proper ride later, as soon as I get some lights and a lock from the bike shop around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment